Monthly Wine Spotlight - 2006 Cabernet Franc
Each month, we pick a featured wine and a celebrated Napa Valley guest Chef creates a perfect pairing recipe! This month Chef Corrie Beezley was given a bottle of Peju's 2006 Cabernet Franc (Buy It Here) and found it to match perfectly with her Wild Mushroom and Barley Risotto with Swiss Chard.
"This comforting winter dish not only is robust in flavor and a perfect match with Peju’s 2006 Cabernet Franc, but full of heart healthy and disease fighting nutrients. Barley, a whole grain, is chalk full of fiber and selenium and a good source of phosphorus, copper and manganese. A dark green leafy vegetable, Swiss chard is an excellent source of phytonutrients (particularly anthocyanins), fiber and most vitamins and minerals like Vitamins A, K and C and calcium. Low in calories and sodium, mushrooms are a rich source of potassium, riboflavin, niacin and selenium." Corrie Beezley
Wild Mushroom & Barley Risotto with Swiss Chard
Uncooked pearl barley
1. Soak the barley in the water for 2 hours, then drain.
2. Bring the Wild Mushroom Vegetable Stock to a simmer in a small saucepan.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms and salt. Cook for 3 minutes.
Add the thinly sliced and finely chopped rehydrated and wild mushrooms, Wild Mushroom Vegetable Stock and barely.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes or
until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the Swiss chard, Parmesan and butter.
Season with pepper and salt to taste. Garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese.
Wild Mushroom Vegetable Stock (Yield: 4-5 cups stock)
Dried mixed wild mushrooms
1. Combine the mushrooms and hot water in a medium bowl; cover an let steep for 20 minutes. Drain the mushrooms in a colander over a bowl, reserving the liquid.
2. Finely chop ½ cup of the rehydrated mushrooms and reserve for the risotto.
3. Place the remaining mushrooms in a large saucepan and add the reserved mushroom liquid. Add the onion and the remaining ingredients.
4. Bring to a boil over medium heat; reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
5. Strain and reserve the liquid.
Corrie Beezley - BIO
Chef Corrie Beezley is a graduate of The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone.
After numerous trips to the Napa Valley for both business and pleasure, Chef Corrie relocated to St. Helena from Texas in 2008. She is now pursuing her dream of creating memorable experiences around food and wine.
With over ten years of experience as a Registered Dietitian, Chef Corrie is uniquely qualified to produce exceptional quality food, while giving prominence to health and wellness.
Her distinctive style of crafting seasonal, local and sustainable ingredients with an emphasis on healthy cooking has placed her at the stoves of some of the valleys top wineries.
In addition to being a consulting Chef to numerous Napa wineries, Chef Corrie is a part-time Dietitian at St. Helena Hospital.
She is an active member of the American Dietetic Association and the Slow Food Movement.
January Wine of the Month Spotlight - 2006 Cabernet Franc >
February Wine of the Month Spotlight - Delicias Zinfandel Port >
March Wine of the Month Spotlight - H.B. Cabernet Sauvignon >
April Wine of the Month Spotlight - 2006 Merlot >
May Wine of the Month Spotlight - 2009 Pink >
June Wine of the Month Spotlight - 2009 Chardonnay >
July Wine of the Month Spotlight - 2008 Sauvignon Blanc >
August Wine of the Month Spotlight - 2006 Cabernet Franc Reserve >
September Wine of the Month Spotlight - 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon >
October Wine of the Month Spotlight - 2007 Fifty/Fifty >
November Wine of the Month Spotlight - Provence >
December Wine of the Month Spotlight - 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve >